Get our 43-Page Guide to Real Estate Investing Today!
Real estate has long been the go-to investment for those looking to build long-term wealth for generations. Let us help you navigate this asset class by signing up for our comprehensive real estate investing guide.
|Amount invested (winning bid amount)||$2,000.00|
|11 months of interest at 8% per annum||$146.67|
|Total Amount at Redemption||$2,221.67|
|Delinquent taxes owed with interest||$4,900.00|
|Current property value||$50,000.00|
|Winning bid amount||$38,500.00|
|Total collected by jurisdiction after sale||$4,900|
|Total collected by lender/mortgagee after sale||$33,600|
|Tax Lien Investing||Tax Deed Investing|
|• Does not transfer ownership at public auction; the lien acts as a loan accruing interest and penalties until redeemed.
• Inexpensive, with tax lien certificates costing as little as a few hundred dollars to a few thousand.
• Passive investment requiring very little work after initial due diligence and auction participation.
• Redemption period or expiration date of the lien varies by jurisdiction.
|• Transfer of ownership at public auction, where the property is deeded to the winning bidder.
• More expensive investment than a tax lien, costing anywhere from a few thousand to tens of thousands of dollars.
• Active investment requiring investor participation after the property is sold at auction.
• Sales can be redeemable or not depending on the state.
Got $1,000? The 10 Top Investments We’d Make Right Now
Our team of analysts agrees. These 10 real estate plays are the best ways to invest in real estate right now. By signing up to be a member of Real Estate Winners, you’ll get access to our 10 best ideas and new investment ideas every month. Find out how you can get started with Real Estate Winners by clicking here.